What If My Injuries Don’t Appear Until Days Or Weeks After The Accident In Florida?
Accidents happen when we least expect them, and the aftermath can be both physically and emotionally overwhelming. If you’ve recently been in an accident in Florida, you might be wondering what happens if your injuries don’t show up right away. This is a common concern, and you’re not alone in your worries. In this blog post, we’ll address this issue. So, let’s explore what you need to know.
Understanding Florida’s Modified Comparative Negligence
First, let’s clarify an important aspect of Florida law that comes into play when discussing delayed injury symptoms. Florida follows a modified comparative negligence system when determining fault in personal injury cases. This means that if you are injured in an accident, your right to compensation is barred if you are more than 50% at fault.
The Time Gap in Identifying Injuries
In many accidents, injuries aren’t immediately apparent. This delayed onset of symptoms can be attributed to various factors, including adrenaline masking pain, the shock of the accident, or underlying medical conditions. Regardless of the cause, here’s what you should keep in mind:
- Seek Medical Attention within 14 days!!!!!!: It’s crucial to consult a medical professional as soon as you notice any discomfort or pain, even if it takes days or a week to surface, but no later than 14 days after the accident. A delay past the 14 days bars you from having up tot $10,000.00 in medical benefits/personal injury protection benefits coverage, and can make it more challenging to connect your injuries to the accident, potentially affecting your compensation.
- Document Your Condition: If you begin experiencing symptoms after the accident, document them meticulously. This includes taking photos of visible injuries, noting down your symptoms, and keeping track of medical appointments and treatments.
- Establish Causation: To successfully claim compensation for your delayed injuries, you must establish a clear link between the accident and your medical condition. This might require expert medical testimony and legal assistance.
What You Can Do
If you’re dealing with delayed injuries, here are some practical steps to consider:
- Consult an Attorney: When facing delayed injuries, it’s vital to reach out to a personal injury attorney who specializes in cases like yours. These professionals possess the expertise needed to navigate the legal complexities. They will guide you through the process, ensuring that your rights are protected, and that you have the best chance of receiving fair compensation. An experienced attorney, like those at The Dash Cam Lawyer®, will assess the unique circumstances of your case and advise you on the best course of action.
- Collect Evidence: Building a strong case requires a solid foundation of evidence. Your attorney, such as those at our law firm, will play a crucial role in guiding you on the collection of necessary evidence. This includes obtaining and organizing medical records related to your injuries, acquiring accident reports to establish the incident’s details, and securing witness statements that can support your claims. The more robust your evidence, the stronger your case becomes.
- Don’t Settle Too Quickly: After an accident, it’s common for insurance companies to attempt a quick settlement. However, it’s essential to resist the temptation to settle early. This is because determining the full extent of your injuries may take time. Settling prematurely can lead to you accepting a compensation amount that may not cover the complete costs associated with your injuries, treatment, and recovery. Waiting until your condition stabilizes, and you have a comprehensive understanding of your medical situation is often in your best interest. Your attorney, at The Dash Cam Lawyer®, can provide valuable advice on when the right time is to consider settlement negotiations.
Secure Your Right to Compensation with The Dash Cam Lawyer®
Injuries that don’t become apparent until days or weeks after an accident can be particularly complex, especially in Florida’s modified comparative negligence system. But you don’t have to face this challenge alone. If you or a loved one are dealing with injuries that have surfaced late after an accident in Florida, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. The Dash Cam Lawyer®, is here to guide you through the process, protect your rights, and help you seek the compensation you deserve.
Contact an Experienced Florida Personal Injury Lawyer today at 561-DASHCAM (561-533-7800) for a free consultation. We understand the complexities of personal injury cases in Florida, and we’re here to assist you every step of the way. Don’t let delayed injuries leave you in the dark – we’re here to bring clarity to your situation and ensure your rights are upheld.
Start Your Free
Call us or complete the form below.
We'll keep your information confidential.
Lake Worth Office
Belle Glade Office
By appointment only
Download Our Personal Injury App Today
Our app serves as a checklist for any type of injury and is especially beneficial at the scene of the accident - like having a personal injury attorney there with you!